Do you suffer from back pain? Do you know what causes your back pain?
Here are a few reasons why you maybe be suffering from back pain and how you could prevent it.
Do you know how much water you should drink and do you think you drink enough?
A lot of people believed that you should drink around 2 litres of water a day but you would be surprised to know that you should be aiming more towards 3 litres a day! It does sound like a lot and at first you will probably be making many trips to the toilets but it is normal and give it some time and your body will soon adjust.
Why do i say suggest that you should aim to drink 3 litres ? Because the body can become inflamed and go into fight or flight mode not drinking each water will cause muscular aches and pains and in turn this could cause back pain. Drinking lots of water will help to keep the muscles hydrated and supple and so lessening the strain on your back. Another plus side of drinking lots of water is that it is great for the skin – not drinking enough can give you wrinkles due to the flexibility in the skin tone!
Do you spend a lot time on your phone? Think about it, our heads weighs around 10 to 11 pounds and our brains are about 3 pounds. So every time you are looking down at your phone, you are placing extra pressure on your neck which in turn can place pressure on the rest of your back. There is a simple remedy to this – simply put down your phone for longer.
Our bodies are not designed to sit down for long periods of time. Also many of us work at computers a lot and I am sure many of you do not sit correctly poor posture when sitting or standing is a common cause of back pain. If you do spend a lot time sitting try to ensure that every 30 minutes you get up and get moving for a few minute and you can even do some stretches or pelvic tilts.
Not only can sitting too much give you back pain, Did you know …
- that you are at risk of DIABETES due to the fact sitting can change the way your body reacts to insulin, the hormone that helps it burn sugar and carbs for energy
- you are at risk of OSTEOPROSIS due to the weight gain due to inactivity.
- sitting crossed legs can affect your pelvis and hips as they are being twisted into an unnatural position.
Feeling stiff in the morning.
Often a reason to feeling stiff when you wake in the morning is due to a lack of exercise and movement. To lessen the chances of back pain follow the handy tips below for sleeping and get moving during the day:
- if you are a face down sleeper, then you are putting pressure on your neck and lower bac. If you really can’t sleep anyway else then rolled up towel under the feet and cushion under the breast bone with the head have a neck cushion with a hole in it.
- If you are a side sleeper, place a cushion under one arm and place a pillow in between the knees and one at the back of you to stop you rolling.
- If you are a back sleeper then put a cushion slightly under your bum and under knees.
We hope that these little hints and tips help and of course a good deep tissue massage can work wonders for back pain and you can get booked in now.
There are a few ways in which you can book with A Healing Touch. We do recommend to book via our online booking portal – FRESHA. Here is is possible to see our up to date availability and it is also possible to reschedule your appointment up to 24 hours in advance online. If you need to change the appointment within 24 hours we would ask that you calll us on 07765 531425 . You can also use our contact form to book or email us on [email protected]
You can rest assured that we are COVID compliant at our treatment room and all the necessary precuations will be taken to ensure that both yourself and the therapist are totally safe. If you do have any questions about our COVID procedures please do not hesitate to get in touch.