At A Healing Touch we are all about self-care, it is so important to take care of yourself. Getting started with Mindfulness can be another part of your self-care routine. Treating yourself to regular treatments, is also extremely important in this.
What is mindfulness?
Mindfulness is the basic ability to be fully present, aware of where we are and what we’re doing. It also means to not be overly reactive or overwhelmed by what’s going on in the world around us. Mindful.org say ‘The goal of mindfulness is to wake up to the inner workings of our mental, emotional, and physical processes’.
There is always there’s growing research showing that when you train your brain to be mindful, you’re actually remodelling the physical structure of your brain.
How do I practice mindfulness?
Mindfulness is available to us in every moment, whether through meditation or mindful moment practices, which can be as simple as taking a moment to breathe before answering the phone, instead of answering it immediately.
The Basics of Mindfulness Practice
Here’s how to tune into mindfulness throughout the day (taken from mindful.org):
- Set aside some time. You don’t need a meditation cushion or bench, or any sort of special equipment to access your mindfulness skills—but you do need to set aside some time and space.
- Observe the present moment as it is. The aim of mindfulness is not quieting the mind, or attempting to achieve a state of eternal calm. The goal is simple: we’re aiming to pay attention to the present moment, without judgment. Easier said than done, we know.
- Let your judgments roll by. When we notice judgments arise during our practice, we can make a mental note of them, and let them pass.
- Return to observing the present moment as it is. Our minds often get carried away in thought. That’s why mindfulness is the practice of returning, again and again, to the present moment.
- Be kind to your wandering mind. Don’t judge yourself for whatever thoughts crop up, just practice recognizing when your mind has wandered off, and gently bring it back.
That’s the practice. It’s often been said that it’s very simple, but it’s not necessarily easy. The work is to just keep doing it. A great website to look about getting started with Mindfulness is www.mindful.org